11 August 2010

What To Eat...

Lately I've found myself becoming a bit anxious when it's time to make dinner (or any meal for that matter) and this morning I decided it might be time to ponder this anxiety and perhaps put it to rest, or at least come to a better understanding. So much of my time is allocated to deciding what to buy, when to eat it, how to cook it, how to serve it, and who in my household enjoys which food.

It then extends beyond these simple questions to how it was grown, where it was grown, whether or not it's actually in season, the possible pesticide residue, the footprint (energy, carbon, water, environmental impact, chemical residues from fertilizer and pesticides). It's enough to make a person catatonic with indecision. Our current society is unfortunately the first society to ask these necessary questions. We're the guinea pigs. Some of us grew up asking these questions, and learning the answers, but a lot of us don't know where to start, and often feel overwhelmed.

Sometimes I think life would be a lot simpler if my local grocery store only carried local crops grown in THIS season. Sure, I'd have less choices, but sometimes that's actually a good thing.

No comments: